Carbon monoxide sickens kids on boat in AltonBy TODD FEATHERS
New Hampshire Union Leader
July 22. 2018 11:44PM
ALTON - Two children who became sick while boating on Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday are believed to have sustained carbon monoxide poisoning.
Both the 8-month-old and 2-year-old were treated at the Lakes Region General Hospital and were released.
State Police Marine Patrol responded to a report of an unresponsive child aboard a 35-foot Carver boat on the lake shortly after noon on Saturday, the agency said in a statement.
Adults on the boat were attempting to resuscitate the 8-month-old child, and by the time the boat reached a dock, the child was responsive and crying.
An Alton firefighter began checking the boat for carbon monoxide and found the 2-year-old inside a berth crying.
Carbon monoxide can be released by generators and gasoline engines, according to the Marine Patrol, and can build up when boats travel at low speeds or when wind blows the colorless, odorless gas into enclosed spaces.
The agency encouraged boaters to install carbon monoxide detectors on their vessels and to check them regularly.