Littleton center to say goodbye and hello to senior council directorSeptember 04. 2018 7:29PM
LITTLETON — Littleton Area Senior Center, 77 Riverglen Lane, will host a “Welcome and Retirement Luncheon” at noon Thursday, Sept. 13, to say goodbye to retiring Grafton County Senior Citizens Council Executive Director Roberta Berner and hello to the incoming executive director, Kathleen Vasconcelos.
The senior center’s grieving support group will meet at 1 p.m. Fridays, Sept. 7 and 21. To attend, call the center at 444-6050 or stop in to sign up.
A Zumba Gold exercise class will get underway at 2 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 13. The cost is $12 for eight weeks. An exercise center also is always available when the center is open.
An eight-week Matter of Balance session about how to avoid falls and keep your balance will start on Friday, Sept. 14. To register, call instructor Kate Kelly at 616-5808.
Creative Movement, an Experience Arts program, will start Wednesday, Sept. 19, at the Littleton Opera House, 2 Union St. To reserve a spot, call Anne-Marie Donlon at the senior center at 444-6050.
The book club is returning from a hiatus and will meet the last Tuesday of each month. The next gathering is at 1 p.m. Sept. 25.
A vaccination clinic is on the schedule from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, Sept. 27. Bring your insurance card if you have one. For more information, call the center.
Manchester senior center to host flu shot clinic
MANCHESTER — The Visiting Nurse Association of Manchester and Southern New Hampshire will bring a flu shot clinic to the William B. Cashin Senior Activity Center, 151 Douglas St., from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24.
To get the annual flu shot, sign up as soon as possible at the center’s front desk. The shot is free for those who don’t have Medicare Part B.
For more about the center, call 624-6533.
Alzheimer’s cafes scheduled in September
Special cafes for people with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, along with their families and caregivers, are offered at a variety of sites in New Hampshire. The monthly cafes vary, but each offers families a blend of social time and support in safe and relaxed environments.
• Concord: Capital Area Memory Cafe, 2-4 p.m., the third Wednesday, Granite Ledges of Concord, 151 Langley Parkway. A collaboration of Concord Hospital, Concord Regional VNA, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Concord and Granite Ledges. Caregiver roundtable discussions an option. Registration not required. For information, call 230-5673. Next: Sept. 19. Roundtable topic: “Options at End of Life.”
• Dover: Alzheimer’s Cafe at Children’s Museum of New Hampshire, 6 Washington St., 2-4 p.m., the third Thursday. Reservations not needed. Cafe free, but donations accepted. For information, call 742-2002 or go to www.childrens-museum.org. Next: Sept. 20.
• Dover: Dementia Memory Cafe at Langdon Place of Dover, 60 Middle Road, 2-4 p.m., the second Tuesday. In partnership with Cornerstone VNA. Open to public. Brief social gathering followed by a roundtable discussion with guest speakers for caregivers and a fun activity for those with dementia. Free. Refreshments included. No reservations required. For information, call 743-4110 ext. 224. Next: Sept. 11. Roundtable topic: Driving and Dementia — Taking Away the Keys.
• Hanover: Upper Valley Memory Cafe, usually the first Saturday (this month is an exception because of the holiday), 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Mayer Room, Howe Library, 13 South St. Registration not necessary. Includes breakfast, activities and entertainment. For information, contact Dartmouth-Hitchcock Aging Resource Center, 653-3460 or AgingCenter@hitchcock.org. Next: Sept. 15.
• Manchester: Alzheimer’s Cafe at Currier Museum of Art, 150 Ash St., 2-4 p.m., second Wednesday. Free; no RSVP required. For information, contact Lynn Thomson at email@example.com or 669-6144 ext. 151. Next: Sept. 12.
• Manchester: Memory Lane Cafe, 9:30-11:30 a.m., the fourth Wednesday of the month, Easterseals NH, 555 Auburn St. Reservations suggested, but drop-ins welcome. For reservations, contact Shirley Gordon, 621-3569 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Next: Sept. 26.
• Peterborough: Memory Cafe in Summerhill Assisted Living and Memory Care Community’s pub, 183 Old Dublin Road, 2-3 p.m., first Thursday. Free. RSVP appreciated; call 924-6238. Next: Sept. 6.
Send text and photos for Seniors News to email@example.com or to Union Leader, P.O. Box 9555, Manchester, NH 03108-9555. Attn: Barbara Anderson.