All Sections

NHIAA Soccer: Campbell boys show firepower

New Hampshire Union Leader

September 11. 2018 10:32PM

LITCHFIELD — Nearly one third of a way through the NHIAA Division III boys’ soccer season, the Miller family coaching regime at Campbell High School has produced only victories.

Campbell senior Matt Rollend said first-year coaches Bill, Aaron and Zachary Miller have brought a controlling, logical scheme that has the Cougars thinking this will be the season they claim their first-ever state championship.

Campbell utilized the Millers’ scheme to perplex Derryfield School of Manchester en route to a 4-1 victory on Tuesday.

“I think this year is our best year,” Rollend said after the win. “The coaches bring so much more like tactics, formations. I feel like this is our year with the coaching and effort we’re putting in.”

Campbell (5-0) showed a championship-caliber attack out of the gate, opening the game’s scoring in the ninth minute when Dave Latsha scored off teammate Justin Furlong’s cross into the penalty box.

Derryfield striker Harrison Bogursky scored in the 34th minute to tie the game at 1-1 on one of his team’s few dangerous possessions in the attacking third of the field.

Aside from the possession that led to Bogursky’s tally, Derryfield, the defending Division III champion, struggled to control the ball and spent most of the contest defending.

Derryfield (3-2) finished with four shots on goal, only one of which came in the second half, and two corner kicks. Campbell registered 17 shots on goal and five corner kicks.

“Straight up, they were a faster team than us so that was a problem,” said Derryfield coach Jeff Cousineau, who played for Bill Miller at NHTI, of Campbell. “They were beating us in places in the midfield so that was a huge issue.

“You can’t attack if you’re defending, as simple as that is.”

Campbell broke the 1-1 deadlock 10 minutes into the second half when Derryfield committed an own goal following Furlong’s set-piece service into the box. Two of Ferlong’s teammates ran ahead of him toward the ball as if they were going to take the set piece before he ultimately delivered the kick.

Rollend got on the score sheet in the 70th minute with a long-range strike that created a 3-1 Campbell advantage. Furlong capped the game’s scoring with a rebound goal in the box following a diving save by Derryfield goalkeeper Charlie Butler (13 saves) inside the final two minutes.

Campbell, which has surrendered three goals this season, did not allow its freshman goalkeeper, Jack Noury, to see many shots but he did finish with four saves.

“We begin our defense from the strikers on back,” Bill Miller said.

Cousineau said Derryfield is a young team that still has some sorting out to do. Derryfield lost 13 players from last year’s title team and its two returning starters are playing different positions this season.

“I think we have the right parts to be dangerous but we need to play a complete game across the board and we didn’t have that today,” Cousineau said.

Aaron Miller credited his players’ performance for Campbell’s success so far.

“It’s all on them,” Aaron Miller said. “They really have it figured out. They know what to do.”