All Sections

Home | Crime

More alleged victims come forward in Claremont sex assault case

By DAMIEN FISHER
Union Leader Correspondent

September 24. 2018 10:39PM
Alan Wirkkala (Claremont Police Department)



CLAREMONT — As the grand jury in the Sullivan Superior Court in Newport handed up 17 felony indictments against Alan Wirkkala, accused of pedophilia, more alleged victims have been coming forward to police.

Wirkkala, 51, was arrested last week in Claremont and charged with molesting a child in Claremont in the 1980s. Now, according to the indictments, Wirkkala faces 17 total charges including aggravated felonious sexual assault and felonious sexual assault for allegedly molesting two children, one as young as 9, between 1987 and 1991.

The indictments were handed up as at least two Claremont residents, unrelated to the alleged victims in the indictments, made reports to police about past abuse involving Wirkkala.

“We’re continuing our investigation into Mr. Wirkkala,” said Claremont police detective Colby Casey.

Casey declined Monday to discuss any new potential witnesses or victims, but said more information is being gathered in the case.

“The case has gained additional avenues for us to explore,” Casey said.

Sullivan County Attorney Marc Hathaway would not say if more charges are coming, saying that that depends on what facts develop during the ongoing investigation.

“If we find enough evidence to pursue additional criminal charges, we will do so,” Hathaway said.

Wirkkala had been under investigation for several months before the charges were brought. Each of the indictments carry a maximum potential prison sentence of 20 years.

Wirkkala is currently free on bail following his arrest last week. He is set to be arraigned on the indictments in the superior court at 9 a.m. on Oct. 3.


General News Public Safety Courts Crime Claremont Newport


More Headlines