Establishing Residency

May 03. 2011 4:13PM

Establishing Residency

New Hampshire does not have a formal procedure for establishing residency. Anyone wanting to establish residency must provide some form of tangible proof that they are living in the state. Acceptable forms of proof include drivers license, utility bill, rental or mortgage payment, and vehicle registration.

Driver's Licenses

Driver's licenses can be obtained at any New Hampshire Licensing Office.

If it is your first license, you will take a written test, a driving test and an eye exam. You must pass all three to be issued a license. Anyone under the age of 18 must present a certificate of successful completion of a driver education course given by a Department of Education in cooperation with the Department of Safety approved public or non-public secondary school or given by a motor vehicle driverīs school licensed under the provisions of the law. Students must bring the certificate, a Driver's Log Sheet; Parent or Guardian Authorization Certificate; their original birth certificate and one other form of legal identification, proof-of-residence and your social security number; and the driver license fee (check, money order or cash). Applications for a driver's license may be obtained from any city, at the DMV, or online.

All DMV testing (written and road) is done at all DMV offices between the hours of 8:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.

Driving tests are required for all persons age 75 or older.

If you already have a valid driver's license from another state and are under age 75, you may walk into the Licensing Office, pay the licensing fee, have your eyes tested, photo taken, and receive a temporary six-month license. You must bring with you a valid current out-of-state driver's license and one other form of identification. For more information, contact the Division of Motor Vehicles at 603-271-2371.

Motor Vehicle Insurance Requirements

Liability Insurance on your car is not mandatory in the State of New Hampshire.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

State licenses are required for all persons 16 and older who wish to hunt or fish in inland waters. Licenses are issued by state-authorized agents and the NH Fish and Game Department in Concord. You can also purchase your license online!

Boat Licenses

All boats with engines must be registered and show the proper New Hampshire decals on the stern. This also applies to all sailboats and windsurfing vessels over 2 feet long. Registration can be obtained from authorized marine dealers, some sporting goods stores, or at the New Hampshire Department of Safety in Concord.

Alcoholic Beverage Sales

The State of New Hampshire owns and manages liquor stores for distilled spirits. There is no New Hampshire state tax on liquor. Beer and wine are sold in supermarkets and convenience stores.


New Hampshire does not have an income tax on an individual's W-2 reported wages or a general sales tax. Visit to help you find the answers to other tax related questions.

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required