Wright's Bridge #58
May 23. 2013 2:56PM
The bridge was built in 1906 by the Bridge and Building Department of the Boston and Maine Railroad. It replaced a wooden bridge built by the Sugar River Railroad in 1871 and 1872. The Sugar River line merged with the Concord and Claremont Railroad in 1873. The Concord and Claremont Railroad was especially well known for its use of the double Town/Pratt lattice truss. In 1915, there were 15 such bridges on the rail line. The bridge is named for S.K. Wright who sold the right-of-way to the Sugar River Railroad.
Year of Construction: - 1906
Original Cost: - Unknown
Two miles south of N.H. Route 103 and one-half mile west of Chandler Station on the Concord and Claremont Railroad line in Newport spanning the Sugar River.
Double Town-Pratt lattice truss with laminated arches. The bridge is 123'9" long with a clear span of 121'9". It has an overall width of 20'6" with a railway width of 14'9" and a maximum vertical clearance of 21'3". This section of rail line has been abandoned.