All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In


Stark Bridge #37

North Road
Stark, NH

The bridge was originally a simple Paddleford truss with a center pier. During the 1890's, high water removed the center pier and the bridge was washed downstream. It was brought back by men and oxen and set on new stone piers. Arches were added to strengthen the span and the center pier was removed. The bridge failed again in the 1940's and in 1954 was rehabilitated by removing the arch, adding steel, and building a center pier. The site is scenic and a popular location for photographers. The Stark Bridge was featured on the town of Stark's Bicentennial Medal in 1974.

Year of Construction: - 1862

Original Cost: - Unknown

Northwest of N.H. Route 110 on North Road in Stark Village over the Upper Ammonoosuc River.

Paddleford truss. The bridge is 134'1" long with two clear spans of 61'5" each. It has an overall width of 29'6" with a roadway width of 16'2", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'9" in the middle of the portal (7'6" on the sides). It has sidewalks on each side. It is posted for ten tons.