Smith Millennium Bridge #44
May 23. 2013 3:01PM
According to W. Edward White in his book Covered Bridges of New Hampshire, a Captain Charles Richardson built the first covered bridge at this site in the early 1800's. The current bridge was built in 1850 when James McQueston hired Herman Marcy of Littleton, N.H. to frame, raise, and finish a covered bridge across the Baker River for the Town of Plymouth. Signs on the bridge include, "One Lane Bridge," "One Car at a Time on Bridge" and "Speed Limit 15 MPH." The Smith Bridge was destroyed by fire on April 16, 1993. A new bridge was built at this site and the town dedicated the new "millennium" bridge on June 8, 2001. It is now the strongest covered bridge in the world.
Year of Construction: - 2001
Original Cost: - $2720.92
One-half mile north of N.H. Route 3A., two and one-half miles west of Plymouth Village on Smith Bridge Road over the Baker River.
Long truss with added arches. The bridge is 149'2" long with a clear span of 140'6", has an overall width of 20'7" with a roadway width of 13'9" and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'0".