All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In

Pier Bridge #57

Concord & Claremont Railroad Line
Newport, NH

The current bridge was built in 1907 by the Boston and Maine Railroad to replace a wood lattice bridge constructed in 1871-1872 by the Sugar River Railroad. The double Town/Pratt lattice trusses with laminated arches were long favored on the branch lines of the Boston & Maine Railroad, largely under the influence of engineer J.P. Snow. In 1900 at least one hundred of this type were in use on the Boston & Maine system. This bridge is also known as the Chandler Station Bridge.

Year of Construction: - 1907

Original Cost: - Unknown

East of Chandler Station and west of N.H. Route 103 on the Concord and Claremont Railroad line in Newport spanning the Sugar River.

Double Town-Pratt lattice truss. The bridge is 216'7" long with clear spans of 103'0" and 98'0" with a center pier. It has an overall width of 20'9" with a railbed width of 15'0", and a maximum vertical clearance of 21'1". This section of rail line has been abandoned.