Meriden Bridge #24

May 23. 2013 3:06PM

Colby Hill Road
Plainfield, NH

The Meriden Bridge, also known as the Mill Bridge, spans the Blood Brook. The current bridge is the third one on this site. The previous two were open timber structures. The present bridge was built by James Tasker. After being damaged by Hurricane Carol on August 30, 1954, it was repaired at a cost of $3,000. In 1963, the bridge was rebuilt and steel beams were introduced to carry a load of fifteen tons. This is thought to be the first covered bridge in New Hampshire to be repaired under the state's Town Bridge Aid program.

Year of Construction: - 1880

Original Cost: - $685

One mile northwest of N.H. Route 120 in Meriden Village on Colby Hill Road spanning Blood Brook in the town of Plainfield.

Multiple Kingpost truss. The bridge is 80'0' long with clear spans of 36'9" and 29'3". It has an overall width of 16'7" with a roadway width of 13'3", and a maximum vertical clearance of 13'3". The bridge is posted for six tons.

Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required