All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In

Honeymoon Bridge #51

Route 16 & 16a
Jackson, NH

This covered bridge was built by Charles Austin Broughton and his son Frank. Charles Broughton lived on the Broughton dairy farm on the east side of the Saco River. During the Civil War he was a sergeant in the 18th Regiment of the New Hampshire Volunteers, Company E. He was a finish carpenter, an avid fiddler, and a skillful bear hunter. For ten years he was an agent for the Swift River Lumber Company in Albany, New Hampshire. According to town records, the sidewalk was added in 1930. Originally, the trusses were more exposed than they are today. In 1965 the approach from N.H. Route 16 was rebuilt to improve visibility and to provide parking.

Year of Construction: - Approximately 1876

Original Cost: - Unknown

At the intersection of N.H. Route 16 and 16A on Village Street in Jackson Village spanning the Ellis River.

Paddleford truss. The bridge is 121'1" long with a clear span of 103'0". It has an overall width of 26'5" with a roadway width of 16'0", and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'3". It has a sidewalk on the upstream side. The structure was built with exposed sides. it is posted for six tons.