Sawyer's Crossing Bridge #6
May 23. 2013 3:02PM
This structure is also known by the name Cresson. A celebration with a big dance on the bridge when it was reconstructed in 1859. In 1953 the bridge was used by Arthur Godfrey as a tie-in with a Chesterfield cigarette Christmas carton. In response, Governor Hugh Gregg flew to New York to present Mr. Godfrey with an honorary deed to the bridge making him an owner.
Year of Construction: - 1771
Original Cost: - 53 pounds, six shillings in 1771
One mile north of N.H. Route 32 near the site of an old Indian community on Sawyer's Crossing Road in Swanzey. It spans the Ashuelot River.
Town lattice truss. The bridge is 158'5" long with clear span of 61'6" and 77'3". It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 17'2" and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'0". It has fully sheathed sides. The structure is posted for three tons.