January 09. 2014 3:19PM
Marker Number: 120
Name and date established: Hampton 1978
Description: This rock, originally in the middle of the Hampton River, indicated the start of the boundary line surveyed by Captain Nicholas Shapely and marked by him "AD 1657-HB and SH" to determine the line between Hampton and Salisbury, HB meaning Hampton Bound and SH, Shapely's mark. Lost for many decades due to the shifting of the river's mouth, the original course of the river and the Bound Rock were rediscovered in 1937. This historically important boulder, still serving as the boundary marker, was enclosed by the State of New Hampshire that same year. The marker was erected in cooperation with the Town of Hampton. It is one of the oldest boundary markers in the United States.
Location: To get to Bound Rock, take Route 1-A south toward Seabrook. Take the first left past the bridge over the Hampton Harbor Inlet, which is Eisenhower Street. Follow Eisenhower to Campton Street, turn right onto Portsmouth Street, then left onto Woodstock Street.