Camp Stark German Prisoner of War CampJanuary 09. 2014 3:21PM
Marker Number: 150
Name and date established: Stark 1985
Description: In the spring of 1944 a high fence and four guard towers transformed a former Civilian Conservation Corps Camp on this site into New Hampshire's sole World War II prisoner-of-war camp. About 250 German and Austrian soldiers, most of whom were captured in North Africa, lived in Camp Stark while working in the surrounding forest where they cut pulpwood vital to wartime industry. The camp closed in the spring of 1946 when the prisoners of war were returned to their homeland. Several maintained the new friendships they had formed with local New Hampshire residents.
Location: Located on the south side of Route 110, about 1.6 miles east of the Stark Covered Bridge.