Chester Village Cemetery


January 09. 2014 3:57PM

Captain John W. Gunnison - Goshen, New Hampshire 







Route 102
Chester, NH

Marker Number: 139
Name and date established: Chester 1980

Description: This graveyard, one of the oldest in the state, was purchased by Colonel John Blunt for 70 pounds in 1751. Signed stones by the finest stone sculptors in New England are found here. Among these craftsmen are: Stephen and Abel Webster, John Marble, John Wright, and Timothy Eastman. Revolutionary heroes rest here as well as two governors of the state, Samuel and John Bell, William Richardson, Chief Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court, Isaac Blasdel, the clockmaker, and others. The Chester Village Cemetary was listed on the National Register in 1979.

Location: Located on the south side of Route 102, just east of its junction with Route 121.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'