Marker Number: 87
Name and date established: Carroll 1972
Description: Abel Crawford and his son, Ethan Allen Crawford, built the fist Crawford House in 1828. It was run by Ethan's brother, Thomas, until sold in 1852. Fires in 1854 and 1858 destroyed the original inn and a replacement. Col. Cyrus Eastman erected the third and present Crawford House. It opened in July, 1859 to continue a tradition of hospitality to White Mountain visitors. Among them have been Daniel Webster, Nathanial Hawthorne, John Greenleaf Whittier and Presidents Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, and Harding.
Location: Located on Route 302, east of its junction with Route 3. Note: The Crawford House was destroyed again by fire in 1977. This marker was erected in cooperation with the Littleton Area Historical Society. Crawford Depot, the train station for Crawford House, was listed on the National Register in 1982, and the Crawford House Artist's Studio was listed on the National Register in 1985.