Marker Number: 82
Name and date established: Sandwich 1972
Description: Built by Jacob Berry of North Conway, this bridge is the fourth to span the Swift River here since 1820. Freshets in 1844, 1865, and 1869 destroyed the first three. The bridge is named for James Holman Durgin (1815 to 1873), who ran a grist mill near it, drove a stage from Sandwich to Farmington, and was a link in the underground slave railroad from Sandwich to Conway.
Location: Located near North Sandwich, 1.5 miles east of Route 113-A on Fellow's Hill Road and 1.5 miles north of Route 113 on Foss Flats Road. This marker was erected in cooperation with the Sandwich Historical Society. The Durgin Bridge was listed on the National Register in 1983.