January 10. 2014 2:17PM

Newington, New Hampshire 
Route 16
Newington, NH

Marker Number: 151
Name and date established: Newington 1985

Description: Boundary disputes among the early river settlers caused this area to be called Bloody Point. By 1640, Trickey's Ferry operated between Bloody Point and Hilton's Point in Dover. In 1712 the meetinghouse was erected and the parish set off, named Newington for the English village, whose residents sent the bell for the meetinghouse. About 1725, the parsonage was built near the town forest, considered one of the oldest in America.

Location: Located at the east end of the Sullivan Bridge, at the base of the ramp off Exit 4 off the northbound Spaulding Turnpike, Route 16. The Newington Center Historic District, located about 1 mile south of the marker, was listed on the National Register in 1987.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required