Toll House and Toll Gate


January 03. 2014 3:58PM






Route 124
Sharon, NH

Marker Number: 68
Name and date established: Sharon 1970

Description: A Toll House and Toll Gate stood on this site from 1803 to 1822. For many years droves of cattle passed along this 3rd New Hampshire Turnpike (Incorporated in 1799) four rods wide running from Walpole through Keene and Sharon toward Boston to the Massachusetts line.

Location: Located on the north side of Route 124, about .3 miles east of the Jaffrey-Sharon town line.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years