January 03. 2014 3:51PM
Marker Number: 147
Name and date established: Concord 1984
Description: One of the oldest municipal parks in New Hampshire, White Park was conveyed to the city by Armenia White in 1884, in memory of her husband Nathaniel. Mr. White, a founder of the American Express Company was a prominent businessman, legislator and philanthropist. Both Mr. and Mrs. White were active in the abolition temperance and women's suffrage movements. The park was designed by landscape architect Charles Eliot, and retains the character of his original design. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Concord. White Park was listed on the National Register in 1982.
Location: Located in White Park, at the intersection of Washington and Center Streets.