Brazilian on verge of deportation to keep fighting after judge dismisses lawsuitBy MARK HAYWARD
New Hampshire Union Leader
October 11. 2017 11:48PM
A federal judge said Wednesday he lacks jurisdiction and will dismiss the lawsuit filed by the Brazilian who worked undercover for years for federal law enforcement.
A lawyer for Manchester resident Renato Filippi, 58, said he will file an appeal with the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston and pursue other avenues. If all efforts fail, Filippi faces deportation in early November.
“Obviously, time is short,” Manchester lawyer George Bruno said.
Meanwhile, Filippi’s boss said he’s doing all he can to keep his veteran worker in the United States. Bedford resident Charlie Morgan said Filippi is the operations manager of his four businesses, the most prominent being Morgan Self Storage in the Manchester Millyard.
Filippi, who started out at minimum wage, now does just about everything for the businesses, Morgan said. He said Filippi is responsible, hard-working and self-directed.
“I am heartbroken and absolutely, unequivocally disappointed in my government,” Morgan said. Last week, Filippi filed suit in federal court against President Donald Trump and other high-level government officials to block his deportation.
In the suit, he claims he accepted a deal with federal officials after he was apprehended while trying to sneak across the Texas border in 2002. He would work as a confidential informant and intelligence source, and the federal government would let him remain in the United States.
He has lived and worked legally in Manchester since 2003, but his lawyers have said he was targeted for deportation after Trump issued executive orders that restructured enforcement of immigration laws.
Filippi’s lawsuit sought an injunction on the deportation until his issues could be litigated.
U.S. District Court Judge Paul Barbadoro, a George H.W. Bush appointee, wrote in a notation that he is dismissing the lawsuit for jurisdictional reasons. He promised a memorandum in the coming days to explain his reasons.
Bruno said he will also press Filippi’s case through the U.S. Bureau of Immigration Appeals, an administrative law forum, and with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which could issue an S-5 or U visa. The visas apply to witnesses and victims of crime.
He said Filippi’s life would be in danger were he deported to Brazil. He noted a post on a Union Leader social media account about Filippi.
“So, this is the guy who sent my nephew Jose Martinez to prison,” reads a post by Manchester resident Johnny Francois.
“This confirms what we’ve been saying all along,” Bruno said, “He’s been an enormous help to the U.S. government. He’s not the person who should be deported.”