All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

NH man, woman die in crash after high-speed chase in Maryland

Union Leader Correspondent

March 20. 2017 9:43PM
Stephen Reinholz is shown in a photo from 2010. 

LACONIA — A Laconia man and Concord woman are dead after a 50-mile high-speed pursuit of a suspected stolen pickup truck in Maryland, authorities said.

Stephen Reinholz, 28, and Kaili Pierce, 28, suffered fatal injuries when Reinholtz lost control of the 2012 Chevrolet Silverado he was driving.

The truck struck a guardrail and then plunged down an embankment near Big Elk Creek, according to officials.

The vehicle had been reported stolen in Laconia on Friday.

Maryland Transportation Authority police had tried to stop the truck Sunday morning on Interstate 95, sparking a chase that began north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel in the Baltimore area, just after 11 a.m.

The driver refused to pull over, leading police through three counties in Northeast Maryland.

The crash occurred at Exit 109 at Route 272 in Cecil County, according to Lt. Kevin Ayd, MDTA public information officer.

Both victims died at the scene.

Records in Belknap County Superior Court show that Reinholz has a lengthy record of thefts, including two prior convictions for stealing vehicles.

Among them was a 1995 red Jeep Grand Cherokee in Laconia, which was later involved in a fatal accident.

In July 2010, Reinholz was at the center of a corrections department mix-up. Florida officials arrived at the New Hampshire State Prison to take him back to the South to face burglary and dealing in stolen property charges. However, he was mistakenly released by NH prison officials before the Florida authorities arrived.

Reinholz turned himself in to authorities the next morning.

In November of 2010, Reinholtz fled from Meredith police who had spotted him driving a 2008 Kia Optima reported stolen from Mile Hill Road in Laconia.

The chase resulted in a crash, and Reinholtz was charged with DWI, unauthorized use of a vehicle, conduct after an accident, disobeying a police officer, shoplifting and two counts of receiving stolen property.

In February of 2013, Reinholtz, who had been living at 119 Church St. in Laconia, was sentenced to 1 to 4 years in prison for theft of jewelry, specifically rings, from Pleasant Street Antiques in Laconia in November 2008.

He had initially received a suspended sentence but the state later successfully moved to impose it, citing his failure to remain on good behavior.

At the time of his death, Laconia police were investigating Reinholtz as a suspect in a home invasion that was reported on Natures View Drive in the Weirs Beach section of the city.

Crime Laconia