All Sections

Home | Crime

Northfield man convicted in drug death awaits appeal ruling

Union Leader Correspondent

March 23. 2018 1:33AM
A handcuffed Brian Watson, right prepares to be escorted out of the courtroom as his lawyer Mark Sisti, center, finishes up some paperwork. (Bea Lewis/Correspondent)

LACONIA — A former Northfield man serving a minimum of 15 years in prison for selling the drugs that resulted in a fatal overdose, won’t face trial on related charges until the New Hampshire Supreme Court rules on his appeal.

On March 20, Judge James D. O’Neill III granted a motion to continue the status conference for Brian Watson for 90 days.

Watson, 53, a one-time Little League coach, was convicted last January of selling the fentanyl that killed 21-year-old Seth Tilton-Fogg in April 2015 in Tilton.

Last March, the state and the defense agreed that related charges of possession of fentanyl and possession with intent to sell within a school zone, could be combined for one trial.

During the jury trial that resulted in Watson’s conviction on the sale of fentanyl death resulting charge, testimony from Tilton police showed that Watson was arrested in a traffic stop after he had returned from making a trip to Manchester to buy a “finger” of heroin, typically about 7 to 10 grams, to sell in the Tilton area.

In a motion asking for a continuance, Defense Attorney Mark Sisti said oral arguments were held before the high court on Feb. 28, and that he was awaiting the opinion before deciding how best to advise his client.

A status conference on the remaining drug charges is now scheduled to be held in Belknap County Superior Court on July 10 at 1:30 p.m. Watson is currently serving his sentence at the Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility in Berlin. As part of his sentence he was ordered to reimburse the victim’s family $5,072 for the cost of the funeral and fined $25,000, plus a $6,000 penalty assessment.

Social issues Courts Crime Laconia Tilton

More Headlines