All Sections

Home | Crime

Police searching 'around the clock' for fugitive in fatal shooting

New Hampshire Union Leader

September 09. 2018 9:35PM

MANCHESTER — The search continues for a man who slipped through a police dragnet after a fatal shooting that led to a neighborhood being locked down for hours on Friday.

Paul Dimick, 26, remained at large Sunday, two days after the New Hampshire Attorney General’s office issued an arrest warrant on a charge of murder in the death of Justin Lee.

Lee, 32, was shot around 11 a.m. Friday in an apartment building at 357 Hanover St. He was taken to Elliot Hospital, where he died later that day.

Assistant Attorney General John J. Kennedy said Sunday that police are still searching “around the clock” for Dimick, who has a long criminal history — including an alleged stabbing, a violent assault and a criminal mischief charge for kicking out the rear window of a police cruiser.

Dimick is about 5-foot-6 with blond hair, blue eyes and tattoos on his arms and chest.

“Our hope is that we wrap this up sooner than later,” Kennedy said. “We are still asking for the public’s assistance in providing any information regarding Dimick’s whereabouts. He should still be considered armed and dangerous so he should not be approached.”

Kennedy said Lee’s autopsy was performed Saturday, but results won’t be available until today.

SWAT teams converged Friday afternoon after police said Dimick was seen entering an apartment building on the northeast corner of Hanover and Maple streets.

SWAT officers with rifles drawn took cover behind police cruisers during what appeared to be a standoff. A police negotiator spoke through a bullhorn, urging Dimick to surrender peacefully.

Witnesses said they heard gunfire and breaking glass around 6 p.m., but a search of the apartment building at Hanover and Maple and several others nearby did not turn up Dimick.

The intersection is only a couple of blocks from Manchester High School Central, where students were kept inside with a lockdown until around 7:45 p.m., when police said it was safe to begin ushering students from the building.

Neighbors said police were back again Saturday, going door-to-door. Still shaken by Friday’s events, they said Sunday they are hoping to hear soon that Dimick is in custody.

“The sad part is it’s going on three days now,” Adrian Groulx said in front of the apartment where he and Shaunna Marcotte live at 432 Maple St.

Groulx said police kept him out of the building until around 11 p.m. Friday, but an officer let Marcotte back in around 4 p.m.

“It was nerve-wracking,” Marcotte said. “I was tired so I just wanted to get home and then I had to beg them to let me go upstairs.”

Anyone with information about Dimick should contact Manchester police detectives Michael Lavallee at (603) 792-5514, or Christopher Biron at (603) 792-5545.

Crime Manchester

More Headlines