All Sections

Home | Crime

Fugitive's relative: 'It's going to be a long time before they catch him'

New Hampshire Union Leader

September 11. 2018 11:53AM
A Manchester SWAT team was on the move looking for murder suspect Paul Dimick on Hanover Street on Monday in Manchester. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)


MANCHESTER — Manchester police scurried from location to location on Monday, hoping to find Paul Dimick, who authorities say gunned down a man Friday and then apparently escaped a police perimeter set up for him in a center city neighborhood.

One of Dimick’s relatives, meanwhile, said “it’s going to be a long time before they catch him.”

Late Monday morning, police surrounded 340 Hanover St., which is next to the building where they had staged for hours on Friday. After evacuating the building and sending in the SWAT team, police left.

“We’re going to be checking addresses all day,” police spokesman Lt. Brian O’Keefe said.

Meanwhile, an autopsy determined that the victim, Justin Lee, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest; Chief Medical Examiner Jennie V. Duval ruled the death a homicide. The searches on Friday and Monday took place just a few doors away from the vicinity of Lee’s shooting death, 357 Hanover St.

Dimick — who is 5-foot-6 with blond hair and blue eyes — remains at large and is considered armed and dangerous, authorities said. Anyone who sees him should not approach him, but call police.

Meanwhile, one of Dimick’s relatives told the New Hampshire Union Leader that Dimick was coming off a seven-day binge of hard drugs and sleeplessness when the shooting took place.

PAUL DIMICK (Attorney General's office)

The relative, who asked that her name not be revealed, said Dimick “is not too far, but not too close,” and will evade capture.

“My (relative) is smarter than you think. It’s going to be a long time before they catch him,” the relative said. She said Dimick escaped the police cordon at 342 Hanover St./445 Maple St. after tear gas was shot into the building.

Dimick spent 2 to 4 years in New Hampshire State Prison for the 2012 stabbing attack of Charles Cable on Rimmon Street. The relative said Dimick and Cable were cousins, and the attack was fueled over alcohol and disputes over a woman. The relative said Cable eventually forgave his cousin. Cable died in November 2013 in a confrontation involving a set of friends and two brothers.

One of the brothers, Edgar Hoffens, was shot and killed in a struggle. Authorities determined that David Hoffens was acting in self defense when he shot Cable twice and killed him. The 2012 stabbing attack put Cable’s body in a weakened state, so he could not recover from the bullet wounds, the relative said.

Homicide prosecutor John J. Kennedy, an assistant attorney general overseeing Lee’s fatal shooting, would not discuss any theories about why Lee was shot. But he stressed that authorities have spoken to several witnesses.

Kennedy would also not answer questions about whether Dimick was in the buildings at the corner of Hanover and Maple streets on Friday. Police have said they saw Dimick enter the building, but after an hours-long standoff, they found no one.

Kennedy said police are following up on a lot of good leads, and most of the locations they visit are in Manchester so far.

“Our hope is it (the search) will come to an end soon,” Kennedy said. “We have every expectation we’re going to do that.”

More Headlines