All Sections

Home | Crime

Man killed by police at liquor store known for petty crimes

Union Leader Correspondent

June 14. 2017 6:20PM
Barry Jones 

The 36-year-old Portsmouth man who was shot three times by state troopers at the state liquor store on Interstate 95 southbound in Hampton Tuesday was known to local police for his criminal activities.

Barry Jones died after being shot twice in the torso and once in his left shoulder Tuesday. Police issued a be-on-the-lookout bulletin about noon. Jones was reportedly intoxicated and had stolen his neighbor’s 2002 Ford Ranger pickup truck.

Police also believed that Jones was armed with a handgun, and had repeatedly pointed it at an unnamed individual who he wanted to drive to Lawrence, Mass., so he could “get some drugs.”

Jones crashed the truck on Grafton Drive in Portsmouth, but he continued to drive toward Massachusetts, and was spotted by a state trooper at the liquor store about 12:24 p.m. It was there that, according to Attorney General Gordon MacDonald, one or two troopers shot Jones after an encounter.

Jones was rushed to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for treatment, but later died. An autopsy performed by Chief Medical Examiner Jennie Duval Wednesday determined Jones died of the gunshot wounds, and his death was ruled a homicide.

Portsmouth police would not comment Wednesday about their previous interactions with Jones, or the incident which led to his death, but records at Portsmouth Circuit Court indicate he had been in trouble with the law; he had at least eight charges lodged against him over the past 11 years.

Jones was sentenced to six months in jail after taking a 1994 Toyota pickup truck without the owner’s permission on July 25, 2006, but all but 46 days of his sentence were suspended for a year. His $300 fine also was suspended for a year.

According to court documents, he had taken the truck from Prescott Park, and police accused him of driving drunk with it to Seabrook.

On Sept. 13, 2007, Jones stole $2,500 from an 83-year-old doctor by withdrawing the money from Piscataqua Savings Bank using a stolen check. Jones was charged with forgery, theft by unauthorized taking and receiving stolen property.

Jones pleaded guilty to theft by unauthorized taking, and was sentenced to 12 months in the Rockingham County House of Corrections, all of which were suspended for two years. He was placed on probation for a year, fined $2,000 with $1,500 suspended for two years, and agreed to pay back the stolen money.

On July 25, 2008, Jones snuck into an apartment at 79 Longmeadow Lane after the resident fell ill and had to hospitalized. The man’s caretaker went to the apartment to collect the mail and feed the fish and caught Jones hiding under a bed. He was charged with criminal trespass in that case. It is not clear what the resolution was.

On Aug. 16, 2010, police were called to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for a reported theft of a cell phone. A patient had reported the theft to hospital officials; surveillance video showed Jones took the phone and gave it to a woman. Jones was arrested, made bail and was ordered to have no contact with the patient or the woman.

In a news release Wednesday afternoon, MacDonald said Tuesday’s shooting is still under investigation and the troopers involved are now on administrative leave. More information will be provided once the officers have been formally interviewed, MacDonald said.

Courts Crime General News Hampton Portsmouth

More Headlines