All Sections

Home | Crime

Police: Booking process 'extremely difficult' for man arrested in Hampstead traffic stop

Union Leader Correspondent

May 31. 2017 12:00PM

HAMPSTEAD — Police said a Danville man who stuck his tongue out for his booking photo made things difficult during processing after he was stopped and arrested on drug and other charges.

Selket D. Taylor, 27, 63 Cotton Farm Road, was arrested and charged Monday with use of an electronic device, a violation, transporting drugs and possession of drugs, both misdemeanors, and felony drug possession.

According to police Lt. John Frazier, Sgt. Robert Kelley was on patrol Monday about 9:50 a.m. as part of a traffic enforcement grant funded by the New Hampshire Highway Safety Agency when he saw a driver holding a cellphone to his left ear.

The driver, later identified as Taylor, was in an Oldsmobile Cutlass at routes 121A and 111.

Frazier said Kelley tried to stop the car on Route 111, but Taylor drove another 400 feet into the parking lot of East Coast Lumber.

Frazier said Taylor could be heard yelling from the car, and became "increasingly agitated and began rambling about things that had nothing to do with why he was stopped" as he looked for his license.

After Taylor handed over his license, Frazier said, Kelley saw a bag of marijuana in the car's cup holder.

Frazier said Taylor admitted that it was marijuana, but insisted that he only smoked it in Massachusetts, where possession of recreational marijuana is legal.

Kelley informed Taylor marijuana is still illegal in New Hampshire.

"Taylor became enraged and began yelling at the officer as he was removed from the car and arrested. Taylor continued to yell and smash his head in the back of the patrol car.

The officer conducted an impound inventory of the vehicle, which was strewn with trash and clothing. He appeared to have been living in it," Frazier said. Kelley found a larger bag of marijuana, Frazier said, and a plastic bag with white pills identified as controlled drugs.

According to Frazier, Taylor was "extremely difficult" during booking and "continued to badger and swear at the officer."

Taylor was released on $1,500 personal recognizance bail and is due in court on Aug. 25.

Crime Hampstead

More Headlines