Police: Husband saw stepson kill wife in Dartmouth-Hitchcock murder | New Hampshire
All Sections

Police: Husband saw stepson kill wife in Dartmouth-Hitchcock murder

Union Leader Correspondents

September 13. 2017 1:08PM
Travis Frink, of Warwick, R.I., stands with his attorney, Public Defender Rebecca McKinnon, during his arraignment in Grafton County Superior Court in North Haverhill on Wednesday. Frink, 48, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 70-year-old mother, Pamela Ferriere, on Tuesday in the intensive care unit at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon. (Valley News - Jennifer Hauck, Pool)


The husband of murder victim Pamela Ferriere witnessed his wife's hospital-bed murder at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center on Tuesday, when his stepson pulled a handgun and shot his mother multiple times, according to a police recounting of the shooting.

Rhode Island resident Travis Frink, 48, visited his mother's hospital room just before 1:30 p.m. and asked Robert Ferriere for some time alone with his mother, according to an affidavit filed by New Hampshire State Police in Grafton County Superior Court.

Robert asked Pamela, who was 70, if that would be OK. She agreed, and as Robert left the room, he heard his wife shout or scream.

"Robert Ferriere turned and looked into the room and saw Frink pointing a gun at Pam and fire several shots," the affidavit reads.

An autopsy determined that Pamela was shot four times and suffered wounds to her chest, abdomen and pelvis. Deputy Medical Examiner Jennie Duval ruled the death a homicide.

"Frink did not say a word. Frink put the gun in a bag he had been holding and walked by Robert Ferriere without saying a word," the affidavit reads.

He was taken into custody about an hour later.

Frink appeared in Grafton County Superior Court Wednesday, where he was charged with first-degree murder. He pleaded not guilty through his attorney, public defender Rebecca McKinnon.

At the request of Associate Attorney General Jane Young, who cited the severity of the crime, Judge Lawrence MacLeod ordered Frink held without bail.

He also ordered Frink to have no contact with Robert Ferriere, with whom his mother shared a home on a quiet side road about a mile south of Groton Town Hall.

Frink is the father of three and reportedly had become engaged recently. The first-degree murder charge against him carries a mandatory sentence of life without parole.

The shooting in the Four-South intensive care unit prompted a massive police response and evacuations of both patients and staff from buildings on the sprawling Dartmouth-Hitchcock campus.

According to the New Hampshire State Police affidavit, Frink had visited his mother earlier during her stay.

She had suffered an aneurysm but was scheduled to be discharged on Friday, state police said.

On Tuesday, Frink signed in at the visitor desk at 1:15 p.m. and then went to the fourth-floor intensive care unit.

State police said they received a call from a Dartmouth-Hitchcock nurse who saw Frink pull the gun and point it at Pamela.

She ran, took shelter in another room and heard two gunshots, the nurse told police.

When taken into custody and interviewed by troopers, Frink waived his Miranda rights. He said he drove to Lebanon from Rhode Island on Tuesday.

"He admitted he went to Dartmouth-Hitchcock to kill his mother, and shot her several times in her hospital room," the affidavit reads.

Union Leader Staff Writer Mark Hayward contributed to this article.

Crime Groton Lebanon Hebron

27th Annual Moose Festival
Friday, 3 p.m. - 8 p.m. (Colebrook, NH)
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (Canaan, VT)

5th Annual Downtown Arts Fest
Saturday, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Chris Stapleton
Friday, 7 p.m.

Farm Days
Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.