Third Dartmouth professor out over sexual misconduct allegationsBy TODD FEATHERS
New Hampshire Union Leader
July 17. 2018 8:17PM
HANOVER — The last of three Dartmouth College brain science professors accused of sexual misconduct resigned on Tuesday after a university investigation concluded with the recommendation that he be stripped of tenure and fired.
Last year, in an article published in The Dartmouth, a student newspaper, a group of students accused the three men — Todd Heatherton, Paul Whalen and William Kelley — of creating a hostile learning environment. The Attorney General’s office also opened an investigation into whether their conduct amounted to a crime.
Because of his age, Heatherton was able to retire on June 13 after the conclusion of the school’s investigation into his actions. Whalen resigned two weeks later.
In the announcement of Kelley’s resignation on Tuesday, Dartmouth President Philip Hanlon said he hopes the school can now move forward.
“The past several months have been challenging for Dartmouth. We will now focus our attention on the work ahead to make this the best community it can be. I am encouraged by the progress we have made so far and know that together we can achieve this goal,” he wrote in a statement.
The three men have been barred from entering Dartmouth property or attending Dartmouth-sponsored events off campus. The college did not enter into any separation or non-disclosure agreements with the professors, according to the statement.
Hanlon also wrote that the Presidential Steering Committee on Sexual Misconduct has finished its report on institutional policies and practices regarding sexual misconduct. The school will seek community input in the months to come, he said.