All Sections

Home | High School Sports

Boys' Hockey: Marauders map a win with short-handed goal in win over Bishop Guertin

New Hampshire Union Leader

January 20. 2018 8:24PM
Bishop Guertin's Ben Peterson and Hanover's Cameron Woods tangle for the puck during Hanover's 3-1 win in a Division I boys hockey game Saturday at Skate 3 in Tyngsborough, Mass. (Nicole Goodhue Boyd/Union Leader)

TYNGSBOROUGH, Mass. - Special teams has been an area of strength for the Hanover High School boys' hockey team this season. The Marauders displayed that on their way to a 3-1 victory over Bishop Guertin of Nashua Saturday at Skate 3 Ice Arena.

The loss marked Bishop Guertin's first to an in-state opponent this season. The Cardinals' (5-2-1) only other blemish is a 4-1 loss at Arlington (Mass.) Catholic last Monday.

Hanover (8-1) registered both a short-handed and power-play goal in the second period to build its 3-1 lead.

Sophomore Cam Woods, who scored twice, put home a rebound goal during a Marauders' short-handed counter rush with 3:19 left in the second period to break a 1-1 deadlock. Freshman Matty Gardner scored a power-play goal from the slot with 21.8 seconds left in the middle stanza to give the Marauders a two-goal lead.

Hanover coach Dick Dodds said his team has only allowed one power-play goal and scored twice while short-handed this season.

"For whatever reason, the group seems to rise to the special-teams occasion," Dodds said.

Hanover looked its best when it was either on the penalty kill or the power play over the first two periods.

The Marauders had some time in the offensive zone and did not give up a shot on goal during its lone penalty kill of the first period. It looked as if Hanover senior co-captain David Lehmann had scored a power-play goal 24 seconds into the second period but the referees waived it off.

Hanover hunkered down in the third period, focusing almost entirely on protecting goaltender Harris LaRock (22 saves) and maintaining its advantage.

Bishop Guertin tested LaRock with 10 shots on goal and had plenty of offensive-zone time over the final 15 minutes but struggled to scoop up rebounds and muster quality looks.

"That was the idea in the third period - just keep throwing the puck to the net and chase nets but give (Hanover) credit," Cardinals coach Gary Bishop Said. "They tightened up their D, they put four guys in low, they weren't letting you get to the rebounds..They always had two or three guys in front of the net."

Bishop Guertin had outscored New Hampshire programs 40-7 over five games entering Saturday's contest.

Dodds said team defense was an area of focus for the Marauders throughout this past week.

"I think the kids really responded today," Dodds said. "We just did a much better job in our own end than we have all year long."

Both teams found the back of the net inside the opening six minutes to create a 1-1 tie after the opening period.

Woods opened the game's scoring at the 2:23 mark when he tallied his first goal off a feed from Elias Zinman, who had two assists.

The Cardinals answered 5:51 into the contest with a back-handed goal from Liam Nye.

Bishop Guertin sophomore netminder Colin Freitas made 16 saves.

"It was a very big game for us," Woods said. "Just to beat (Bishop Guertin) is amazing. It shows the rest of the league that we're no joke."

Sports NHIAA