Firefighters battle flames, propane fire balls in Kingston blazeBy JASON SCHREIBER
Union Leader Correspondent
March 21. 2018 4:50PM
KINGSTON - Fire officials say a gas grill used to cook chicken earlier Tuesday night likely caused a fire at a house on Dulcies Point Road that left one cat unaccounted for and sent fire balls into the sky as propane vented from a nearby tank.
Fire Chief Bill Seaman said the homeowner at 9 Dulcies Point Road was inside watching the 6 o’clock news when a neighbor noticed the fire at the rear of the house.
Property records list the owner as Elizabeth Mello.
Seaman said Kingston firefighters were attending a monthly emergency medical services’ training in East Kingston when they were called to the fire scene.
“We got a pretty good jump on the fire because a lot of us were already out,” he said.
Firefighters found heavy fire on the porch that extended to the rear of the house and into the kitchen, Seaman said.
Nearly 30 firefighters from six towns responded to the scene, where they battled the house fire but also had to contend with a 120-gallon propane tank nearby that heated up from the flames and began venting the combustible gas. Seaman said the fire ignited the propane and created a few fire balls.
“The crews immediately focused attention on cooling the cylinder and extinguishing the fire,” Seaman said.
The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined, but Seaman said investigators believe it involved a grill that had been used earlier.
Firefighters rescued one cat from the residence, which was treated by rescue personnel and transported to Plaistow-Kingston Animal Medical Center. Seaman said the cat appeared to be doing fine.
Another cat escaped while a third cat was found alive Wednesday. A fourth cat remains unaccounted for, Seaman said, adding that it’s possible it perished or somehow made it out and was hiding somewhere.
A dog also was uninjured.
The blaze caused significant fire damage to the back of the home and kitchen. There was heavy smoke damage throughout, Seaman said.
The fire forced officials to close a section of New Boston Road for a time.