All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Man dies after lethal levels of carbon monoxide found at Litchfield home

By DOUG ALDEN
New Hampshire Union Leader

July 14. 2017 4:57AM
Authorities found a man dead and a woman incapacitated by carbon monoxide inside this Moose Hollow Drive home in Litchfield Wednesday night. (JEFFREY HASTINGS)

LITCHFIELD — The State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating what led to lethal levels of carbon monoxide in a home, leaving a man dead and a woman incapacitated on Wednesday night.

Fire investigators identified the dead man as Jamie Badeau, 40, who was listed as the owner of the 22 Moose Hollow Drive home in town property records.

Emergency crews were called to the large single-family house about 6 p.m. to check on the well-being of the residents.

Inside, they found the man dead and the woman alive but unresponsive, State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan said in a news release Thursday.

Firefighters found lethal levels of carbon monoxide inside the home, according to the release, and the woman was taken to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center in Nashua.

The state Medical Examiner’s Office conducted an autopsy Thursday and ruled the cause of Badeau’s death to be accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to an update from Degnan and Litchfield fire and police.

The woman’s name was not released Thursday. She remained hospitalized.

Investigators said although carbon monoxide poisoning is more common in the winter, it can happen at any time of year. The colorless, odorless gas can come from household appliances, including furnaces, gas ovens and stoves and water heaters.

The two-story gray house is in an upscale subdivision about eight miles south of Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. According to town property records, the four-bedroom, three-bath house was built in 2004 on a one-acre lot and the total property was assessed at $549,300 for 2017.


Public Safety Litchfield


More Headlines

Aggregation