All Sections

Home | Public Safety

NH man dies on top of train after leaving Yankee Stadium

New Hampshire Union Leader

September 22. 2018 11:24AM

A New Hampshire man was killed Wednesday night less than an hour after watching the Boston Red Sox lose to the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium, after officials say he climbed on top of a Connecticut-bound train, where he came into contact with high-voltage overhead electrified wires.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) said Michael Vigeant, 24, of Hudson was killed around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday when he and his brother, both decked out in Red Sox gear, climbed outside a train on the MTA’s New Haven Line. According to authorities, Vigeant reached the top of the train car, where he came into contact with an overhead electrified wire — which carry 16,000 volts of electricity — between Larchmont and Mamaroneck in Westchester County.

First responders who were passengers on the train performed CPR on Vigeant, who was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Bob Fredericks, a senior writer with the New York Post, was a passenger on the train.

“The train came to a stop, and after awhile the conductor came through looking very nervous, asking if there were any doctors or nurses on board,” said Fredericks during a telephone interview with a New Hampshire Union Leader reporter. “A woman who said she was a nurse went running past me. She was gone for about 40 minutes then came back looking pretty shaken, saying a man had climbed on top of the train and was electrocuted.”

Michael Pellicci, a resident of Stamford, Conn., told the Mamaroneck Daily Voice he saw the entire accident, saying Vigeant and his brother jumped on top of the train more than once.

“We saw them and wondered how they had gotten from one end of the train to the other so quickly,” Pellicci told the Daily Voice. “That’s when the conductor got wise to what they were doing and stopped the older brother to tell him how stupid it was.”

Pellicci said a few moments later, there was a “thud and a spark of light,” and he saw the man’s body fall between cars towards the rear of the train.

“You could see his body folded in half and one arm that was black,” Pellicci told the Daily Voice. “It was horrible.”

After Vigeant struck the wire, the train stopped due to a power issue, MTA officials said. Crew members found him after he had come into contact with the overhead catenary wires, MTA officials said. MTA police are investigating.

New Haven Line trains were delayed 30 to 55 minutes until about 3:20 a.m., officials said. While MTA officials said passengers remained on the stopped train for about 45 minutes before being transferred onto a different train, multiple passengers claiming to be on board tweeted about being stuck for over two hours before moving towards Connecticut. Those passengers also complained about the hot, humid conditions on the train, with some people asking MTA to open the doors to allow fresh air in.

Public Safety

More Headlines