All Sections

Home | Public Safety

One dead, three hospitalized after van crashes into barrier head-on near Hampton tolls

By JASON SCHREIBER
Union Leader Correspondent

January 10. 2018 1:22PM
Four people were in this van when it struck a jersey barrier head-on near the Hampton toll plaza on Tuesday night. (Jason Schreiber/Correspondent)



NORTH HAMPTON — One person died and three others were hospitalized after the van they were riding in struck a jersey barrier head-on just before the Hampton toll plaza on Interstate 95 Tuesday evening.

State police Lt. John Hennessey confirmed Wednesday morning that rear passenger Yong Zheng, 54, of Quincy, Mass., died last night at Portsmouth Regional Hospital from injuries suffered when he was thrown through the van's windshield.

Hennessey said it appeared a 2010 Chevrolet Express van driven by Ming Chen, 51, of Boston, was traveling south toward the open-road toll lanes just before 6 p.m. when the vehicle suddenly veered toward the right and crashed into the barrier.

A press release from the New Hampshire State Police said the van "either changed lanes and lost control or was trying to make it into the cash lanes from the open road tolling lanes."

State Police said there were three passengers in the van, including Zheng. Mingjian Chen, 53, of Boston, the front passenger, was taken to Exeter Hospital with serious injuries before being transferred to a Boston hospital in stable condition, police said.

According to state police, rear passenger Zhangfang Wang, 42, of Boston, was taken to Portsmouth Hospital with serious injuries, where he remains in stable condition.

Ming Chen also was taken to Exeter Hospital with serious injuries.

After the accident, the cash lanes at the Hampton toll plaza were closed for approximately 3 hours and traffic was diverted into the open-road toll lanes. Exit 2 also remained open.

The New Hampshire State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction (C.A.R.) Unit was called to the scene to investigate. The state police were also assisted on scene by the Hampton and North Hampton Fire Departments, and the New Hampshire Department of Transportation.

According to police, impairment doesn't appear to be a cause of the crash, though it is still being investigated. It did not appear that anyone in the van had been wearing a seatbelt, police said.

Anyone with information about the crash should contact TFC Brian Ross at 603-223-8490 or email at brian.ross@dos.nh.gov.

jschreiber@newstote.com 


Accidents Hampton


More Headlines

Nashua garage destroyed in fire