All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Seven women hospitalized after eating mushrooms at Alstead conference

By TODD FEATHERS
New Hampshire Union Leader

September 23. 2018 10:18AM




Wild mushrooms are beautiful, but some are also dangerous if ingested. (Forest Society)

ALSTEAD — Seven women attending a conference at the Orchard School became sick late Friday night after eating what they mistakenly believed were chanterelle mushrooms, according to a school employee.

A group of 12 women had rented the school for the event and cooked a meal together, said the employee, who asked not to be identified.

Seven of the women became sick and six ambulances were called to the premises.

Some of the women were taken to the hospital for treatment but all the attendees had recovered by Saturday morning, the employee said.

“It’s not lethal, but you feel really crummy,” she said.


Public Safety Health Alstead


More Headlines