All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Dog alerts homeowner to Dublin house fire

By MEGHAN PIERCE
Union Leader Correspondent

February 11. 2018 11:57PM




DUBLIN — A dog alerted a homeowner to a fire Friday night. The two-alarm fire did substantial damage to a home on Farnum Road, Dublin Fire Chief Thomas Vanderbilt said.

Firefighters responded to 36 Farnum Road for a reported structure fire around 7:06 p.m. Friday.

“We were toned for a structure fire, upon arrival we did have smoke showing and fire burning on the first floor,” Vanderbilt said Sunday.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, but a lot of damage had been done to the home before fire crews even arrived.

There was no roof damage, but “a hole had burned through the floor,” Vanderbilt said, adding the damage was “pretty substantial.”

He said the home owner will be staying with family.

Vanderbilt said the livability of the house is being determined by the home owner’s insurance company.

Vanderbilt said the fire started in the area of the woodstove’s chimney.

“We didn’t have any injured,” Vanderbilt said.

He added a reminder for people to ensure they have working smoke detectors in their homes.

“They definitely can save your life,” he said.

Vanderbilt said he didn’t hear any alarms sounding when he arrived and he understands the man’s dog alerted him to the fire.

“We want to make sure people have their smoke detectors,” Vanderbilt said. “I guess a dog alerted the owner to the fire. Lucky the dog was on duty.”

Firefighters left the scene around 10 p.m.

mpierce@newstote.com


Public Safety General News Dublin


More Headlines