Storage barn fire sends two assisted living facility residents to hospitalBy MARK HAYWARD
New Hampshire Union Leader
July 16. 2017 9:29PM
DURHAM — Two residents from the Harmony Homes Assisted Living facility had to be taken to the hospital Sunday evening after a fire broke out in a storage barn behind the residence, a town official said.
The four-alarm fire drew about 100 firefighters from Durham and area towns. They took about 1-1/2 hours to get the fire under control, said Todd Selig, the Durham town manager.
"It burned pretty hot, so the department wanted a lot of support to keep them (firefighters) from getting too hot," Selig said.
The 24-resident Harmony Homes is located at the corner of Stagecoach Road and Route 108. The fire prompted officials to close portions of Route 108.
A neighbor, Deanna Wood of Route 108, said the barn had been owned by the Durham Boat Club, a rowing club, but was used for storage by Harmony Homes.
It is about 150 feet from the residence, Selig said.
Wood said she heard sirens around 5:30 p.m.; Route 108 quickly filled with fire trucks from towns as far away as Epping.
Smoke settled throughout the neighborhood, she said.
Wood had heard reports that a heated lawn mower was placed inside the shed and started the fire. Selig said officials have yet to pinpoint a cause for the fire.