All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Two-alarm fire heavily damages Meredith home

Union Leader Correspondent

May 23. 2018 11:45PM
Firefighters battle a two-alarm fire at 57 Winona Shores Road in Meredith on Wednesday night. (Bea Lewis/Union Leader Correspondent)

MEREDITH — The improper storage of materials used to weather seal a wooden deck is the most likely cause of a two-alarm fire that ruined a local home late Wednesday night, according to officials.

Homeowners Robert and Elissa Davis had spent the day staining that back deck at their 57 Winona Shore Road home, according to Meredith Fire Chief Ken Jones. They disposed of a T-shirt, a paint brush and a roller that they used in the project in the garage and Jones believes those materials spontaneously combusted.

After the couple smelled smoke they began searching for the source and discovered a fire in the attached two-car garage.

Robert Davis used a fire extinguisher on the flames but didn’t get them completely extinguished, and when he opened one of the overhead doors the flames intensified with the rush of oxygen, Jones said.

When police arrived, they reported that the garage was fully involved and small explosions were occurring. Two vehicles were inside the garage and a 24-foot camper parked next to it was destroyed in the fire that broke out around 10:30 p.m.

Jones said he called for a second-alarm to bring in additional manpower. One firefighter cut his hand on glass but was treated at the scene.

The property owners declined the assistance of the American Red Cross and told officials that they would stay with friends. Jones said the home was insured. 

The couple had applied a product called Perafin sealer on the wood deck earlier in the day, according to Jones. The directions printed on the can instruct users to place brushes and other materials that come into contact with the product under water in a covered can.

The fire was declared under control at 11:22 p.m. but crews remained at work and didn’t finish mopping up until 1:30 a.m. Thursday. One truck remained behind until 3 a.m. to guard against a rekindle.

Jones suspects the home will be will declared a total loss.

Public Safety Meredith

More Headlines