NH gets ready for the next stormBy DOUG ALDEN
New Hampshire Union Leader
March 04. 2018 11:09PM
Surging waves still lingering from last week’s nor’easter continued to cause flooding on New Hampshire’s Seacoast Sunday as Granite Staters prepared for another winter storm.
Although the storm system expected to hit Wednesday won’t be as powerful, it’s still of concern, particularly in coastal areas left with damage from the heavy rain and gusting winds that swept through Friday and Saturday, said John Cannon, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
“March tends to be active and it’s living up to its name,” Cannon said Sunday.
Cannon said another system was expected to hit New Hampshire on Wednesday, bringing “plowable” amounts of snow throughout the state, with higher amounts expected in southern and southeastern areas.
Forecasters expected to have a better idea of how much snow to expect by today, but Cannon said the entire state can expect to get a couple of inches or more.
Cannon said the approaching storm is expected to be followed by another this weekend or early next week.
The National Weather Service issued a flood warning for coastal areas effective Sunday night into early today; local officials in Rye and Hampton shut down Ocean Boulevard on Sunday afternoon shortly after high tide.
“The beaches are very vulnerable and communities are still very vulnerable along the coast to high water and large battering waves,” Cannon said. “Until those waves work their way down, there’s going to be a problem.”
The waves were measuring at 15 to 20 feet on Sunday afternoon, washing ashore every 14 to 16 seconds.
“Wave height and the period between waves are both a reflection of how much energy the wave has and how much it can run up the beach,” Cannon said.
Waves are expected to gradually diminish in size and power with every tide cycle, Cannon said.
Sightseers were still coming to the Seacoast Sunday for a look at the powerful surf and damage it had already caused.
Public safety officials in Rye were urging people to stay away from beach areas as work to clear debris continues.