Chasrick Heredia


MANCHESTER — A judge sent the defendant in the dating-cops court case back to jail on Tuesday after police spied him at a Manchester bar just days after he raised bail and was freed from jail.

Superior Court Judge Amy Messer told Chasrick Soren Heredia, 24, that she was sending him back to Valley Street jail because she knows of no guidelines she could impose to keep the community safe.

“This was not your first time on bail,” Messer said. “You had very clear conditions and within a week you went ahead and violated those conditions.”

The hearing in Hillsborough County Superior Court was the latest in a lengthy legal saga involving Heredia.

In early February, a jury convicted Heredia of two felonies and three misdemeanors stemming from a a May 2018 melee outside the now-shuttered GlowBar in downtown Manchester. The jury cleared him of the more serious charges — that he tried to murder a Manchester police woman by repeatedly punching her in the head.

In March, Messer granted Heredia a new trial, ruling that two Manchester police officers in the case — Canada Stewart and Michael Roscoe — should have disclosed they were dating, and the information could have helped Heredia’s defense lawyer. Messer also reduced Heredia’s bail from $75,000 cash to $5,000 cash or bond.

He had been jailed 10 months before she reduced bail.

Stewart, a fellow policewoman, and Stewart’s boss — Capt. Allen Aldenberg — were in the courtroom for the hearing.

Prosecutors said that a police officer working a detail on April 5 at the Whiskey’s 20 bar spotted Heredia shortly before midnight. As part of his bail, he should have been at his mother’s residence between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.

“You gave him an opportunity, and he’s flipping you off,” Assistant County Attorney Donald Topham told Messer. He noted that Heredia was doing the same thing that got him into trouble last May — visiting a bar with friends late at night.

His public defender, Julian Jefferson, said Heredia made an ill-advised, short-sighted decision and quickly left the bar. While admitting to the violation, Jefferson said it did not amount to a danger to the community.

Bailiffs took Heredia into custody immediately after Messer’s decision. His trial is scheduled to start in June. But that could be delayed if the New Hampshire Attorney General decides to appeal Messer’s order for a new trial.

Topham said he’s asked the Attorney General to do so, and is waiting for a response.

“It’s their decision. That’s way above my pay grade,” Topham said.

The deadline to file an appeal with the New Hampshire Supreme Court is April 29, he said.

Thursday, July 09, 2020
Wednesday, July 08, 2020