Quality Inn gun

Crime scene investigators pull a handgun from the scene of the standoff at the Quality Inn on John E. Devine Drive in Manchester after the incident, in which three people died, ended on March 28.

MANCHESTER — The Attorney General’s office has released the names of a federal drug enforcement agent and Manchester police detective who discharged their weapons during a 15-hour standoff in which three people died at a Queen City motel.

Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald, State Police Col. Christopher Wagner, and Manchester Police Chief Carlo T. Capano issued a statement Thursday identifying Special Agent Jean Drouin of the Drug Enforcement Administration and Detective Cliff Ellston of the Manchester Police Department as the two involved in the March 27 standoff at the Quality Inn.

According to the news release, both discharged their weapons during a standoff with Stephen Marshall, 51, who authorities said was killed by gunfire. Marshall died of “multiple gunshot wounds to the trunk and extremities.”

Marshall, who had a long criminal record, died when he burst through a broken first-floor window in the hotel and started firing, police have said. Ellston and Drouin returned fire.

The shooting started a lengthy standoff at the hotel, located just off South Willow Street.

The hotel was evacuated, one of the city’s main commercial thoroughfares was shut down and a 15-hour standoff ensued.

Police made contact with two additional people inside the hotel, as SWAT officers came under sporadic gunfire from inside the hotel over a nine-hour span.

Eventually a SWAT team breached the hotel room, and officers found Christian St. Cyr, 27, and Brandie Tarantino, 21, dead inside the room.

Autopsies of both St. Cyr and Tarantino completed by Chief Medical Examiner Jennie V. Duval determined the cause and manner of death for both remains pending, awaiting the results of toxicology testing that likely won’t become available until mid to late May.

According to a statement from the Attorney General’s office, Drouin has been a member of the DEA for approximately 22 years and is assigned to the Manchester District Office. Ellston has been a member of the Manchester Police Department for approximately 11 years and is assigned to the DEA’s Drug Task Force.

Ellston was awarded an Honorable Service Medal by the Manchester Police Department in January 2017 for arresting an armed robbery suspect on the city’s West Side.

The circumstances surrounding the standoff remain under active investigation.

A report regarding whether the use of force was justified is expected to be released once the investigation is completed.