DURHAM — Police have charged a fourth University of New Hampshire football player with felony riot in the wake of a large brawl in January at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house.

Linebacker Zachary Banks, 20, of Westminster, Mass., was arrested Friday afternoon, police said. He was released on personal recognizance bail and is scheduled to be arraigned in Strafford County Superior Court on Feb. 28.

After police broke up the Jan. 26 fight, which had spilled from the house and caught the attention of patrol officer Emily Festa, police reviewed video surveillance of the incident. SAE has a number of cameras on the property.

The video shows about 15 people approached the back door in hooded sweatshirts, police said. When SAE President Dillon Murphy opened the door, the men pushed him onto the ground and entered the house, according to police.

Three people were seen striking Murphy, according to an affidavit.

Murphy told police that about five minutes later, another large group of people arrived at the front door and attempted to push their way into the house. He recognized them as members of the UNH football team, the affidavit says.

Murphy and fraternity brother Robert Sweeney were injured in the incident. When Festa arrived, Sweeney was being punched and pushed down the front steps of the fraternity house’s walkway, according to the affidavit.

Football players Kyle Hamper, 21, of Portland, Ore., Quinlen Dean, 21, of Greenbelt, Md., and Jackson Housman, 20, of Weare, were arrested earlier this month and waived their arraignment Thursday in Strafford County Superior Court.

They have been suspended from the football team, the university said.

On Friday, police also arrested UNH student Patrick Roy, 21, of Norfolk, Mass., charging him with simple assault related to the brawl. Roy is scheduled to be arraigned in Dover Circuit Court on April 10.

UNH spokesman Erika Mantz said Tuesday the college is conducting an independent investigation of all parties involved to determine if charges are appropriate.

The four football players remain as students at UNH.

In a related matter, Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said police are working with a lawyer representing a University of Connecticut football player who local authorities intend on taking into custody for throwing an object during the brawl.

According to court documents, a man wearing a “Connecticut” shirt was caught on camera throwing an object and a police officer later discovered the person broke a window at SAE during the brawl.

Thursday, November 14, 2019