Manchester police seek shooting suspect

Manchester Police officers search for evidence following a shooting Tuesday afternoon that seriously injured a female victim at the Elmwood Gardens apartment complex. (David Lane Photo)

MANCHESTER — A shooting in apartments near Ahern Street left a 42-year-old woman seriously injured, a teen with a gunshot wound to the face and the shooter seen fleeing the scene still at large.

Wednesday morning, police provided additional details about the 3 p.m. shooting, but did not identify the victims.

"This is an ongoing investigation, so to protect the integrity of the case and the victims, we are not at liberty to provide names  at this time," said Heather Hamel, public information officer for Manchester police.

The female victim opened the front door of her apartment to leave for work Tuesday and was shot in the abdomen as she stood in her doorway, according to Manchester police.

A1 main art city shooting

Manchester police focus their efforts Tuesday afternoon on apartments along Ahern Street, where a woman was shot at the front door of one of the units, officials said.

"She told police she saw a tall, dark-skinned black man that she did not recognize holding a gun and another man running away," said Hamel.

It does not appear the woman was the intended target, she said.

"Police later found a 17-year-old male with a gunshot wound to his face," Hamel said. "Through their investigation, detectives determined the injury had happened during the Ahern Street incident."

The teen turned out to be a missing person out of New York and was taken into custody to await family, Hamel said.

Neither the female victim nor the teen sustained life-threatening wounds, she said.

While the shooter remains at large, Hamel said police don't believe the public is in any immediate danger.

The female victim's apartment is in the Elmwood Gardens complex, which the Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority manages.

Neighbors interviewed who asked not to be identified said they had heard a single gunshot around the time of the shooting.

A witness said he then saw an African-American man in the street running away from the scene. A very short time later, Robert reported seeing drivers fleeing the neighborhood in a white BMW and a black Jeep at high speed.

After the shooting, the investigation seemed to be focused on a block of apartments from 118 to 128 Ahern St. Officers were seen several times going in and out of the building with the door marked 128 Ahern St.

Hours after the shooting, officers remained at the scene gathering evidence.

The shooting scene was only a few blocks away from a homicide last week in which Brian “Boogie” Clark died after suffering a gunshot wound to the chest.

A candlelight vigil at the Elliot at River’s Edge on July 3 drew 300 well-wishers. Clark’s mother, Maria Miranda, urged people not to seek revenge for the incident.

“This is getting out of control, but it must stop,” Miranda said, her words accompanied by sniffles and sobs. “I know who killed my son, I forgive him.”

She said God is in control, not them.

“If you’re gang banging, please stop,” Miranda said. Later, she told a reporter she did not believe her son’s death was gang-related.

Officials have not said there are any connections between the two shootings.

Paul Feely is the City Hall reporter for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. Reach him at