MANCHESTER — A city man was arrested Sunday, charged with resisting arrest after police say he ignored orders to exit a home in the city’s North End.

According to police, officers responded to a single-family home at 477 Oak St. around 3 p.m. Sunday to investigate a possible shooting. According to police, the shooting was believed to have occurred Saturday night, but was not reported until Sunday afternoon.

As police responded, officers determined the residence at 477 Oak St needed to be secured pending an application for a search warrant.

Around 5:30 p.m., officers responded to the home to secure the residence. Officers initially attempted to make phone contact with the resident, identified by police as Valentin Sechelaur, 37, but were unsuccessful.

Officers then used a loudspeaker to ask anyone inside the home to exit, but received no response.

Around 6 p.m., police said officers performed a protective sweep of the residence to ensure it was safe for further investigation. While conducting the search, officers located a man identified as Sechelaur hiding in the basement and refusing to exit. Police said the man was given repeated verbal orders to exit the residence, but refused.

The Manchester Police Department Communications Division placed many phone calls to Secheular in an attempt to make contact with him, and around 7 p.m. police say Secheular answered the phone and agreed to exit the home.

He was taken into custody without further incident at 7:13 p.m. and charged with resisting arrest or detention.

Manchester police said there is no threat to the public. Oak Street was re-opened by 7:30 p.m.

Police did not comment on whether a shooting had actually taken place.

The residence has been secured and Manchester detectives are continuing their investigation.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact Manchester police at 668-8711.

Paul Feely is the City Hall reporter for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. Reach him at