BRENTWOOD — A physician assistant who received a suspended jail sentence for pointing a gun at another driver in 2017 is now being held without bail after pleading not guilty on Monday to charges he murdered his wife at their Londonderry home in April.

William Argie, 46, of 118 West Road, waived formal arraignment in Rockingham County Superior Court and entered not-guilty pleas on two counts of second-degree murder in the death of 39-year-old Maureen Argie.

One of the charges alleges Argie “knowingly (caused) the death of Maureen Argie by strangling and/or smothering her.”

Another charge, which alleges an alternative theory, accuses him of recklessly causing her death “under circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to the value of human life by strangling and/or smothering her.”

Argie, who did not appear in court, was arrested June 7, a day after an arrest warrant was issued.

The investigation began after his wife’s body was discovered April 4 and the death was labeled suspicious.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Peter Hinckley said an agreement was made in which Argie would be held without bail, but in which he reserved the right to request a bail hearing at a later date.

Hinckley wouldn’t say where Argie was arrested on the murder charges, but said he was taken into custody in New Hampshire without incident.

He said he couldn’t talk specifically about the reasons why it took more than two months before Argie was arrested, but added that, in general, “We don’t always make arrests immediately after a crime has occurred. It takes an investigation and, whether that investigation takes a matter of hours or it takes a matter of months, the investigation takes however long it takes.”

The affidavit in the case has been sealed.

State, local law enforcement identify female victim of suspicious death in Londonderry
Londonderry man charged in wife’s murder

Last year, in another criminal case, Argie pleaded guilty to a reckless conduct charge after he pointed a gun out a window while driving on Interstate 93 in Windham on Dec. 18, 2017.

According to a state police affidavit, troopers responded to a call from a driver who said a man — later identified as Argie — passed him in a pickup truck and aimed the gun at him.

Argie was later stopped by a Londonderry police officer who saw him pass through an area on Route 102 where police were working a detail.

When questioned by police, Argie told them he was traveling north on I-93 when a tractor-trailer next to him began to swerve into his lane. State police said Argie “brushed it off as a mistake” at first, but when the tractor-trailer driver swerved again “he began to feel that the TT unit operator was purposefully swerving into his lane. Argie then sped up to pass the TT unit. Argie stated that as he passed the TT unit he retrieved his handgun from under his seat, took the handgun with his left hand and stuck it out the window,” the affidavit said.

Argie claimed he never took the gun out of the holster and only pointed it because he felt threatened.

“Argie stated that he wanted to be truthful and up front about everything and that he had nothing to hide,” the affidavit said.

In court paperwork related to the gun incident, Argie wrote that at the time he was employed at Physician One Urgent Care in Medford, Mass. An office worker confirmed he had worked there as a physician assistant until about a year ago.

Argie was licensed in New Hampshire until 2016, and renewed a license to operate in Massachusetts in February, according to online records.

Following the gun incident, court records show Argie was given a one-year jail term that was suspended for two years.

He was also prohibited from possessing firearms during the suspension period.

Argie was ordered to perform 25 hours of community service and undergo an anger management evaluation.

Correction: A previous version of this story had the incorrect home address for William Argie.