The Vermont man who police say abducted a woman and her young child from Manchester on Saturday afternoon used his abductee to hunt for his wife, whom he believed was cheating on him, according to authorities.

Everett Simpson allegedly raped the 25-year-old New Hampshire woman in a hotel in White River Junction, Vt., in front of her 5-year-old son, according to federal complaints.

The mother and child had been abducted at random at about 1 p.m. from the parking lot at the Mall of New Hampshire, where they had been shopping.

More than 24 hours later, Simpson, 41, was apprehended 350 miles away by police in the western suburbs of Philadelphia.

“This guy is an animal,” said Michael Chitwood, the police superintendent of Upper Darby, Pa. “He’s a very, very dangerous guy. He’s a bad guy.”

Simpson was arrested Sunday evening after two brief car chases. He was arraigned at his hospital bed on Monday, Chitwood said. He was then taken to the George Hill Correction Facility, a county jail outside Philadelphia.

He is being held on $2 million cash bail.

Meanwhile, he will soon face a federal kidnapping charge, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, according to federal prosecutors in Vermont.

In a statement, federal prosecutors in Vermont will seek to have Simpson transferred to Vermont after he is arrested on the federal charges.

Citing affidavits, Chitwood said Simpson believed his wife had been cheating on him and he wanted to kill her. Enraged, Simpson absconded from a court-ordered drug treatment facility — Valley Vista in Bradford, Vt. — on Jan. 2 and stole a car.

The wife, Sherise Simpson, of Barre, Vt., went into hiding after learning Simpson had left Valley Vista.

Hunting for his wife, the affidavit states, Simpson forced the woman abducted in Manchester to drive to Fairlee and Bradford, Vt. Simpson used the woman’s cellphone to text his wife.

Twice, he had the abductee knock on a door while her son remained in his mother’s car, a 2014 Kia sedan. The boy was so afraid of Simpson that he urinated on himself, Chitwood said.

At another point, the affidavit says Simpson tried to rape the woman in the car while it was parked on a roadside in Thetford, Vt. He stopped the attack when his victim screamed and drew the attention of joggers.

She convinced him to go to a hotel.

“(The woman told police) that she kept asking him to bring her to a hotel because she was afraid that if he raped her beside the road he would kill both her and her son and leave them and because at least most motels had cameras,” a police affidavit reads.

The hotel was the Comfort Inn in White River Junction.

About 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Simpson left the hotel room; the mother waited about 20 minutes and went to the front desk. They called Hartford police.

“He threatened the woman and son if she told the police. He said ‘I got your address,’” Chitwood said.

Simpson was apprehended about 24 hours later in Pennsylvania following two brief high-speed chases on crowded roads, Chitwood said.

Simpson — who stands 6 foot, 3 inches and weighs 255 pounds — started fighting with police and had to be stunned with a Taser, Chitwood said.

Police handcuffed Simpson to a gurney in an ambulance, and two officers guarded him overnight at the Crozer-Keystone hospital in Springfield, Pa. Chitwood called him an escape risk.

He was admitted in critical condition Sunday night but upgraded to fair on Monday morning, the hospital said.

In a statement, Vermont State Police said they searched several locations in Vermont for Simpson on Saturday, including a former address in St. Johnsbury.

About 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Vermont authorities sent out a tweet asking for the public’s help to locate Simpson.

About that time, an electronic license plate reader on a patrol car in Prospect Park, Pa., got a hit on the license plate of the abducted New Hampshire woman’s Kia.

A chase with lights and sirens ensued for about two miles.

The car was involved in a minor accident and Simpson abandoned it at the Laurel Manor apartment complex in Upper Darby, Chitwood said. Authorities brought in a police dog to search a nearby stormwater drainage area, but abandoned the search after about two hours .

Then, about 5:30 p.m., a woman at the Bishop Hill apartment complex reported a man had stolen her car, which she had left running while she unloaded groceries.

“She tried to stop him, he pushes her and away he goes,” Chitwood said.

She had left her cell phone in the older-model SUV. Police pinged it and were able to locate the car, Chitwood said.

At least four departments ended up pursuing the vehicle in another two-mile chase. It ended when Simpson was unable to negotiate a curve and went off the road at a driveway in a working-class neighborhood of Morton, Chitwood said.

Speeds during the chase reached 60 mph on crowded roads, he said.

According to the Vermont newspaper The Caledonian Record, Simpson was ordered into Valley Vista by a judge following his arrest in September in an incident that started in Littleton, N.H.

Simpson is accused of stealing a GMC Acadia that was serving as a taxi for Littleton Regional Healthcare.

A high-speed police chase took place in neighboring Vermont that ended with the car in a swamp and Simpson allegedly fighting with two Vermont troopers, trying to wrestle the service weapon from one, the Record said.

Littleton Police Chief Paul Smith said charges against Simpson regarding the September automobile theft are pending.

Chitwood said Simpson stole a car when he left Valley Vista. It was found in Manchester, Chitwood said.

On Monday, Manchester police issued a statement to explain the timing of their release of information. Around 1 a.m. Sunday, Manchester police first reported an abduction took place on Saturday.

Even though they asked for tips from the public, police did not specify what time the abduction took place, the location, or a description of the abductor.

Throughout Sunday, they issued two updates, including a bulletin from Vermont State Police. Late Monday morning, Manchester police said they delayed releasing further information because they could not review Vermont police reports until Sunday.

“(Manchester police) were unable to provide additional facts to the public because the FBI took over media relations for the incident,” a department statement read.

Anyone with information about Simpson should call 802-295-9425.


Union Leader Staff Reporter Doug Alden contributed to this article.