WARNER — A man investigated for a possible link to the disappearance and death of Trisha Haynes in 2018 is under arrest on charges stemming from an incident last month in which a moving car was shot at, according to police.

Douglas C. Smith Jr., 30, of Warner, turned himself in to police on Thursday, according to a statement released by Warner police Cpl. Benjamin Tokarz.

Smith is being held on $10,000 cash bail on charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm; reckless conduct with a deadly weapon — placing another in danger; criminal mischief; criminal threatening; receiving stolen property; and resisting arrest, according to Tokarz.

Smith is accused of instigating a situation Aug. 18 on Parade Ground Cemetery Road in Warner in which he brandished a handgun and shot at a moving vehicle that was attempting to flee the scene, according to Tokarz. Police sought and obtained arrest warrants for Smith, but he refused to turn himself in after learning of the warrants, Tokarz said.

Smith was considered a fugitive from justice from Aug. 27 until his arrest Thursday afternoon, Tokarz said.

For 10 days, police in Warner and surrounding communities were on the lookout for Smith, and the U.S. Marshals Service was called in to assist in finding him.

Warner police kept a line of communication open and negotiated with Smith throughout the 10-day period, Tokarz said. He surrendered without incident on Thursday around 3:30 p.m., according to Tokarz.

Smith is a convicted felon and a registered sex offender, according to court records.

Warner police said Thursday that Smith had been investigated by officials in connection with the Haynes matter. Haynes lived with Smith and his family until she disappeared last summer.

Human remains were found in September of 2018 at Grants Pond in Grafton, where police were seen taking out two crates full of evidence from the area near the pond.

In July, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s office confirmed that the remains recovered from the pond belonged to Haynes, and that she was murdered sometime last year.

Haynes was a Stuart, Fla., native who resettled in New Hampshire. The investigation into her death is ongoing, and state police are asking anyone with information to call them at 223-4381.