CONCORD — State emergency management officials have asked FEMA to conduct a joint federal-state preliminary damage assessment in Grafton County, which was hit by a powerful storm last week.
Over the past several days, teams of state and local officials have calculated more than $2 million in damage to roads and other infrastructure in southern Grafton County due to the July 11 storm, according to a statement issued by New Hampshire Homeland Security and Emergency Management. The next step is a preliminary damage assessment with both state emergency management officials and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
“This is an important next step as we continue to focus efforts on assisting residents and businesses impacted by the flooding,” Gov. Chris Sununu said in the statement. Sununu said he requested the FEMA assessment teams and expects them to arrive as early as next week.
The joint damage assessments will document damage to homes, businesses, roads, bridges and other infrastructure.
“The assessment is necessary to confirm the reported damage, which is critical in making our case for federal aid,” said Jennifer Harper, director of New Hampshire Homeland Security and Emergency Management. She said low- to moderate-income families who experienced loss and businesses with uninsured losses should call 211 to report the loss.
A local meteorologist recorded 6½ inches of rainfall in Groton between July 11 and 12, according to previous media reports.
Some roads were initially impassable, but local contractors contributed heavy equipment and manpower to bolster efforts that included repairing washed-out roads, replacing culverts and hauling away debris.
The storm damage forced the replacement of culverts on Sculpted Rocks Road, drove an SUV into a 10-foot sinkhole, sent floodwaters through a Groton neighborhood, and dug a new channel for Atwell Brook.
“It seems like we are having a 100-year weather event every two years,” Groton highway department worker Norm Willey said earlier this week.