Granite Pathways

Emergency personnel responded to Granite Pathways on River Road in Manchester earlier this month for a report of a juvenile overdose.

MANCHESTER — Over two days last month, half of the 10 patients being treated at the Sununu Youth Treatment Center were hospitalized for suspected overdoses — including a suspected suicide attempt — a state investigation shows.

The Department of Health and Human Services released the five-page report Monday chronicling events that led officials to end the state’s contract with Granite Pathways. The center oversaw treatment at the 36-bed Youth Treatment Center (YTC) in Manchester for over a year prior to the decision to cut ties with the organization as of Dec. 7.

The report is based on interviews with treatment center staff and residents, record reviews, and other information.

According to the report, a resident told officials they smuggled drugs into the center on Nov. 24 following a weekend home visit.

That night, the report states, five youth residents attended a Narcotics Anonymous meeting offsite, under the supervision of a YTC staff member. During the meeting, two of the youths were allowed to go together to the bathroom. After they returned, “it appeared to the YTC staff member that the youths were impaired,” the report states.

The staff member drove the youths to the YTC, where one required “assistance exiting the vehicle and walking into the facility.”

The next day, all three, plus another resident, were transported to a hospital for possible overdoses after YTC staff said they were impaired and began acting belligerently.

That same day, an argument took place between other youths at the center, and staff called Manchester police to arrest one resident who assaulted two others.

The report states when an officer arrived at the YTC, the resident, the officer, and staff waited for a judge to issue an arrest warrant in the YTC lobby. A YTC counselor and the parent of the resident met in a conference room next to the lobby to begin the discharge process.

According to the report, the resident’s belongings, which included prescribed psychotropic medication, were also placed in the conference room. The resident’s parent left once the arrest warrant was issued, the report states, leaving the youth’s belongings unattended.

As ambulances arrived for the four impaired residents, the report said the resident being arrested was left alone in a conference room and took multiple doses of prescription medication in a suspected suicide attempt.

“YTC staff were not aware that (the resident’s) personal belongings were still in the conference room when the youth was placed there,” the report states.

Officials at Granite Pathways had no immediate comment Monday.

Following these events, DHHS directed Granite Pathways to suspend further admissions to the YTC. The department took additional steps, including terminating the state’s contract with Granite Pathways to operate the YTC, and the discharging of remaining residents to other settings.

Saturday, April 04, 2020