MANCHESTER — City fire officials say careless disposal of smoking materials is to blame for a blaze that caused $10,000 in damages to a Sagamore Street home Sunday night.

Manchester Fire badge

Firefighters responded to reports of a building fire at a multi-family residence at 89 Sagamore St. at 7:57 p.m.

The fire was first reported by a neighbor who saw smoke coming from the third-floor windows of the structure, said District Fire Chief Hank Martineau.

Upon arrival, crews confirmed smoke was coming from the third floor.

They encountered fire in a bedroom in a loft on that floor.

The fire caused extensive damage to that room, while the second and first floors of the residence suffered water damage.

The fire was contained to the room where it had started. No one was home in the apartment at the time of the blaze, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported.